I’ve recently upgraded from my old device to a Samsung Galaxy S7 and had some trouble following the official LineageOS install guide as well as various other sources on the subject. With a slight adjustment of method, however, I was able to easily install a custom recovery, custom rom, as well as root the device. To save everyone some time I’ve written the following guide:
These instructions should work with the following devices:
To proceed begin by downloading the following files:
- TWRP Recovery .TAR – https://dl.twrp.me/herolte/ or https://dl.twrp.me/hero2lte/
- Odin 3.12.3 (s7 fix)
- Lineage OS: https://download.lineageos.org/herolte or https://download.lineageos.org/hero2lte
- Lineage OS Superuser (root): https://download.lineageos.org/extras
- OpenGApps ARM64 Version (I used nano)
- Go to Settings > About Device > Software Info > Tap on Build Number 7 times.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options > Enable OEM Unlocking
- Put the s7 device into download mode by powering off the device and then pressing Vol Down + Home + Power. Accept disclaimer by prsesing Volume Up.
- Plug the phone into your Windows computer
- Open Odin, go to options and uncheck Auto Reboot
- In Odin select AP and navigate to the TWRP .TAR that you have downloaded and press Start
- Once the recovery has flashed press and hold Volume Down + Power button until a charging battery appears
- Unplug the device and boot into recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power until the Galaxy S7 logo appears. (Important: The device must power off and boot directly into recovery after flash or the recovery gets wiped and you must repeat the Odin step once more)
- You should now be in recovery. Go to Wipe>Format Data>Yes. Then go to Advanced Wipe and wipe every partition.
- Now copy over Lineage OS, Superuser, and OpenGApps to the device. This can be done by using “adb push filename.zip /sdcard/” , using a microusb OTG, or by using Windows explorer.
- Once copied go to Install and flash LineageOS, Superuser, and OpenGApps.
- Upon reboot you will have a custom recovery, custom operating system, and root.
If you have any questions or corrections for this guide please leave a comment below.
- Official LineageOS Install Guide: (Heimdall was giving error: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12)
- This Youtube Video: Guy skipped a bunch of steps