Provided are device specific instructions for installing GrapheneOS on a Google Pixel 6a using a Windows PC. I hope you find this helpful.
Your warranty is now void. Bay Area Tech Pros does not provide any warranty of this item whatsoever, whether express, implied, or statutory, including, but not limited to, any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or any warranty that the contents of this item will be error-free. In no respect shall Bay Area Tech Pros incur any liability for any damages, including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages arising out of, resulting from, or any way connected to the use of this item, whether or not based upon warranty, contract, tort, or otherwise; whether or not injury was sustained by persons or property or otherwise; and whether or not loss was sustained from, or arose out of, the results of, this item, or any services that may be provided by Bay Area Tech Pros.
You require the following items to be downloaded and usable.
- Google WinUSB Driver
(to install the driver, extract the .zip > right click the .inf > install)
Perform the following actions:
- Extract the contents of platform-tools_XXX.X.X-windows.zip to C:\ADB
- Extract bluejay-factory-xxxxxxxxxx.zip to C:\ADB
- Extract image-bluejay-xxxxxxxxxx.zip , which was just extracted from factory, to C:\ADB
You must first enable OEM Unlocking.
- Navigate to Settings > About phone
- Scroll down to “Build number” and tap it 7 times or until you become a developer
- Navigate to Settings > System > Developer options > OEM Unlocking and tap to enable.
🚨If OEM unlocking is greyed out on your device:
- Connect the Pixel 6a to the internet
- Navigate to Settings > System > System update
- Install first critical system update and reboot.
- Return to stage 1 of OEM Unlocking. If greyed out, proceed to #5.
- Remove sim card. Connect to WiFi.
- Navigate to Settings > System > Reset options
- Erase all data (factory reset)
- Once reset, go through setup and connect to WiFi.
- Reboot device.
- Return to Step 1 of OEM Unlocking.
We will be covering the command line installation:
- Power off the Pixel 6a.
- Hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER to enter Fastboot Mode
- Connect the Pixel 6a directly to your computer using the OEM cable.
- Open CMD, type the following:
C:\ cd C:\adb fastboot devices fastboot flashing unlock
- On your device use the arrow keys and power button to “Unlock the bootloader”
- In CMD enter the following command:
🚨If flash-all.bat fails:
- open flash-all.bat in text editor
- delete everything above the line that starts with “fastboot flash”
- save file
- return to previous instruction #6
- Once flash-all.bat is done delete the pending exit command and enter the following command:
fastboot flashing lock
- Use the volume and power buttons to “Lock the bootloader”
- Use the volume and power buttons to “Start” the device
If you’ve followed along you now hopefully have a Pixel 6a running GrapheneOS. I hope that this guide has been helpful. For those who find this task daunting, we have for sale pre-flashed DeGoogled phones.